The appliance may emit some smoke when used for the first time. This is normal and there is nothing wrong with the appliance.
If this happens after you have used the waffle maker a few times, check:
1) That there are no food particles in between the plates.
2) That there is no grease on the plates.
During use the thermostat will constantly control the temperature, due to this the thermostat will shut down when the desired temperature is reached and it will automatically turn back on when the temperature is lowered.
Step 1: Unplug the device and let it cool down with the cooking plates open.
Step 2: Clean the baking plates with a soft damp cloth or soft brush.
Step 3: The outside can be cleaned with a soft damp cloth.
1) Never use water or any other kind of liquid on the waffle maker.
2) Never immerse the device in water or any other liquid.
3) Never use any abrasive cleaners.
4) Do not clean the device in the dishwasher.
Use a wooden or plastic kitchen utensil to remove the waffles. Do not use steel utensils as they can damage the plates.
For the best waffles, preheat the appliance before use. If the appliance has been preheated, the waffles are sealed immediately.
During cooking, the preheat light will switch on and off. This is normal and indicates that the heating elements are being switched on and off to keep the appliance at the right temperature.